Points lead in sight for Sean EdwardsStuttgart. Round ten of the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland was contested on Saturday on the Nürburgring. Britain’s Sean Edwards (Team Deutsche Post by Project 1) pocketed his first victory of the season in the Porsche Carrera Cup, with Nicki Thiim (DK/Attempto Racing) and Christian Engelhart (D/Konrad Motorsport) occupying positions two and three. “Now I was able to earn crucial points and I’m within striking distance of the points lead. At the end of the season I aim to be champion,” said an ecstatic Edwards after the prize-giving ceremony.
The surprise of the day was Porsche Junior Alex Riberas (Attempto Racing powered by Motorvision) who clinched pole position in his Porsche 911 GT3 Cup at the midday qualifying session. When the red lights went out, the 19-year-old Spaniard made a clean get away with his Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, but had to let the rest of the field pass when he was sidelined after the first lap with a technical fault. “I’m incredibly disappointed and have to get to grips with this,” explained Riberas. Several other drivers also experienced difficulties in the first race lap: Some squabbling in the midfield resulted in a two-lap safety car phase. After starting from second on the grid, Edwards went on to dominate the race and bring home an unchallenged victory.
This win puts Edwards just five points shy of the leader, Kévin Estre (Attempto Racing), who only managed to finish ninth today. “I already did the maths on the podium,” said Edwards with a grin. Heading into Sunday’s race, Estre leads the series with 143 points ahead of Edwards (138) and Thiim (132). “We still have seven races to go, so let’s see where we all stand at the end of the season,” said a combative Estre.
On the 3.629 kilometre circuit in the Eifel region of Germany, Porsche Junior Connor de Phillippi (Förch Racing by Lukas Motorsport) yielded important points towards the rookie classification. Finishing seventh in the 34-strong field, he further extended his lead in the category for newcomers. “I’ve managed to earn points from every race so far. And I have the feeling I’m gaining more and more experience,” the 20-year-old American analysed. De Phillippi leads the rookie classification with 72 points ahead of Jeffrey Schmidt (CH/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1, 58 points) and Riberas (43).
Result race 10:
1. Sean Edwards (GB/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1)
2. Nicki Thiim (DK/Attempto Racing)
3. Christian Engelhart (D/Konrad Motorsport)
4. Philipp Eng (A/Logiplus MRS-Racing)
5. Pieter Schothorst (NL/Team Bleekemolen)
6. Jeffrey Schmidt (CH/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1)
7. Connor de Phillippi (USA/Förch Racing by Lukas Motorsport)
8. Michael Christensen (DK/Team 75 Motorsport)
9. Kévin Estre (F/Attempto Racing)
10. Sean Johnston (USA/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1)
Points standings after 10 of 17 races:
1. Kévin Estre (Attempto Racing), 143 points
2. Sean Edwards (GB/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1), 138
3. Nicki Thiim (DK/Attempto Racing), 132
4. Norbert Siedler (A/Aust Motorsport), 120
5. Christian Engelhart (D/Konrad Motorsport), 119
1. Rolf Ineichen (CH/Konrad Motorsport), 152
1. Dominic Jöst (D/Attempto Racing), 140
3. Thomas Langer (D/Highspeed Racing), 109
1. Connor de Phillippi (USA/Förch Racing by Lukas Motorsport), 72
2. Jeffrey Schmidt (CH/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1), 58
3. Alex Riberas (E/Attempto Racing powered by Motorvision), 43
1. Attempto Racing, 277
2. Konrad Motorsport, 177
3. Team Deutsche Post by Project 1, 164
Please note: Photo and video material of the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland is available for accredited journalists from the Porsche Press Database under the internet address https://presse.porsche.de. On this website you can also activate the Porsche Motorsport SMS Info Service to receive the latest news and information from race tracks around the world. More information is available for journalists in the digital Porsche Motorsport Media Guide on http://presse.porsche.de/motorsport.
SOURCE: Porsche Motorsports Press Release Database