Pole-to-flag victory for Christian EngelhartStuttgart. After the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland race on Sunday, Christian Engelhart (D/Konrad Motorsport) climbed to the highest step of the podium. As the native of Bavaria lifted the trophy into the air, he knew that he had taken a big step towards his greatest goal at the Nürburgring this weekend. With his victory at the eleventh of 17 races, he held on to his chance as title aspirant. “An important win and a flawless race: Now I’m right back in the thick of things as far as the championship goes,” said the thrilled 26 year old. In second place behind Engelhart, guest driver and Porsche Junior Michael Christensen (DK/Team 75 Motorsport) saw the flag ahead of Kévin Estre (F/Attempto Racing).
When the pilots climbed into their 450 hp Porsche 911 GT3 Cup on Sunday and took off into the race over 83.467 kilometres, they had no idea of what they were to face over the 23-lap sprint. At the start, pole-sitter Engelhart as well as Christensen and Nicki Thiim (DK/Attempto Racing) managed to put some distance between themselves and the rest of the field. Sean Edwards (Team Deutsche Post by Project 1), Estre, and Porsche Junior Alex Riberas (E/Attempto Racing powered by Motorvision) followed somewhat behind. When Riberas attempted to overtake Edwards, the Briton left the track which gave him an advantage over the Spaniard. For this, the race director handed Edwards a drive-through penalty which relegated him from position four to 24th. The 26 year old went home empty handed and was subsequently shuffled down the overall points table.
In the ranking of the best drivers, Estre extends his lead. With 161 points to his credit, the French-born German-resident currently sits 13 points ahead of his Attempto teammate Thiim. Moving up from position five to third place in the standings, Engelhart overtakes his rivals with 139 points.
Three Porsche Juniors competed at the Nürburgring this weekend: Riberas, Connor de Phillippi (USA/Förch Racing by Lukas Motorsport) and guest driver Christensen. Christensen, who now contests the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup, is not eligible to receive points, but thoroughly enjoyed a successful return: “It was a great feeling to be back in the Carrera Cup. I’m very happy with second place. I didn’t want to take any unnecessary risks with Engelhart and overtake him at any cost. If I had done that it may have influenced the championship outcome.” Porsche Junior Riberas was also in top form on Sunday. “I’m over the moon. Fifth is my best result so far this season, because I drove the fastest lap and saw the finish line as the best rookie,” said the Spaniard. De Phillippi was disappointed with Sunday’s race: “I’m not at all happy with twelfth. For some reason I couldn’t get to grips with the track during the race.” Nevertheless, the pilot from California maintains his lead in the rookie classification with 77 points.
The next races of the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland take place from 13 to 15 September on the 3.696 kilometre circuit in Oschersleben.
Result race 11:
1. Christian Engelhart (D/Konrad Motorsport)
2. Michael Christensen (DK/Team 75 Motorsport)
3. Kévin Estre (F/Attempto Racing)
4. Nicki Thiim (DK/Attempto Racing)
5. Alex Riberas (E/Attempto Racing powered by Motorvision)
6. Robert Lukas (PL/FÖRCH Racing by Lukas Motorsport)
7. Jaap van Lagen (NL/FE Racing by Land – Motorsport)
8. Jeffrey Schmidt (CH/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1)
9. Norbert Siedler (A/Aust Motorsport)
10. Pieter Schothorst (NL/Team Bleekemolen)
Points standings after 11 of 17 races:
1. Kévin Estre (Attempto Racing), 161 points
2. Nicki Thiim (DK/Attempto Racing), 148
3. Christian Engelhart (D/Konrad Motorsport), 139
4. Sean Edwards (GB/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1), 138
5. Norbert Siedler (A/Aust Motorsport), 128
1. Rolf Ineichen (CH/Konrad Motorsport), 168
2. Dominic Jöst (D/Attempto Racing), 149
3. Wolf Nathan (NL/FE Racing by Land-Motorsport), 123
1. Connor de Phillippi (USA/Förch Racing by Lukas Motorsport), 77
2. Jeffrey Schmidt (CH/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1), 67
3. Alex Riberas (E/Attempto Racing powered by Motorvision), 57
1. Attempto Racing, 311
2. Konrad Motorsport, 202
3. Förch Racing by Lukas Motorsport, 173
Please note: Photo and video material of the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland is available for accredited journalists from the Porsche Press Database under the internet address https://presse.porsche.de. On this website you can also activate the Porsche Motorsport SMS Info Service to receive the latest news and information from race tracks around the world. More information is available for journalists in the digital Porsche Motorsport Media Guide on http://presse.porsche.de/motorsport.
SOURCE: Porsche Motorsports Press Release Database