Kevin Estre extends points lead in the Porsche Carrera CupStuttgart. Series leader Kévin Estre (F/Attempto Racing), is the winner of Saturday’s race in Oschersleben. The Frenchman, who lives in the German city of Langenfeld, won the twelfth of 17 races, beating Nicki Thiim (DK/Attempto Racing) and Jaap van Lagen (NL/FE Racing by Land – Motorsport) to the finish line. Scoring his sixth win this season, the 24-year-old extended his overall points lead to now tally 181 points and sits ahead of Thiim (166 points) and Christian Engelhart (D/Konrad Motorsport, 151 points). “This win is unbelievably vital for me. The champagne tastes particularly good after this win. There is still plenty left in the bottle which I’ll take back to the team as a thank you,” said the ecstatic Attempto pilot after the prize giving.
Estre took off into the race on the 3.696 kilometre circuit of Oschersleben from position one on the grid. So far this season, the Frenchman has set pole position five times. When the lights went off, Estre got away well in his 450 hp 911 GT3 Cup and defended his lead. In lap four, however, the safety car was deployed when a collision towards the back of the field left debris on the track. When the race resumed after lap six, Estre again quickly pulled clear of his pursuers, Philipp Eng (A/Logiplus MRS-Racing) and Thiim, and profited from the infighting behind him which saw Eng slip from second to fourth place two laps before the flag.
Once again, Sean Edwards (Team Deutsche Post by Project 1) turned heads with his charge through the field, with the Briton fighting hard to sweep from 29th at the start to eighth place. Bad luck threw Christopher Zoechling (A/Konrad Motorsport) out of contention. After a good qualifying session which earned him the third grid spot, technical problems during the formation lap resulted in his Porsche having to be pushed from the grid. The team fixed the fault and Zoechling finally saw the flag four laps down on the winner.
The Porsche juniors, Connor de Phillippi (USA/Förch Racing by Lukas Motorsport) and Alex Riberas (E/Attempto Racing powered by Motorvision), struggled with difficulties on the track. De Phillippi concluded the race in eleventh place with Riberas finishing on 14th. “I was able to make up three places at the start and the fight with Edwards was okay, too. Still on Sunday I’d like to improve. My aim is a top five result,” stated De Phillippi. “My start was good, but generally I didn’t feel great on the track. Hopefully it’ll go better in the next race,” said Riberas.
Race 13 of the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland takes off on Sunday at 10.50 hours.
Result race 12:
1. Kévin Estre (F/Attempto Racing)
2. Nicki Thiim (DK/Attempto Racing)
3. Jaap van Lagen (NL/FE Racing by Land – Motorsport)
4. Philipp Eng (A/Logiplus MRS-Racing)
5. Christian Engelhart (D/Konrad Motorsport)
6. Norbert Siedler (A/Aust Motorsport)
7. Bas Schothorst (NL/Team Bleekemolen)
8. Sean Edwards (GB/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1)
9. Pieter Schothorst (NL/Team Bleekemolen)
10. Jeffrey Schmidt (CH/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1)
Points’ standings after 12 of 17 races:
1. Kévin Estre (Attempto Racing), 181 points
2. Nicki Thiim (DK/Attempto Racing), 166
3. Christian Engelhart (D/Konrad Motorsport), 151
4. Sean Edwards (GB/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1), 146
5. Norbert Siedler (A/Aust Motorsport), 138
1. Rolf Ineichen (CH/Konrad Motorsport), 186
2. Dominic Jöst (D/Attempto Racing), 169
3. Wolf Nathan (NL/FE Racing by Land-Motorsport), 137
1. Connor de Phillippi (USA/Förch Racing by Lukas Motorsport), 82
2. Jeffrey Schmidt (CH/Team Deutsche Post by Project 1), 73
3. Alex Riberas (E/Attempto Racing powered by Motorvision), 59
1. Attempto Racing, 349
2. Konrad Motorsport, 214
3. Team Deutsche Post by Project 1, 185
Please note: Photo and video material of the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland is available for accredited journalists from the Porsche Press Database under the internet address https://presse.porsche.de. On this website you can also activate the Porsche Motorsport SMS Info Service to receive the latest news and information from race tracks around the world via text messages. More information is available for journalists on the digital Porsche Motorsport Media Guide on https://presse.porsche.de/motorsport.
SOURCE: Porsche Motorsports Press Release Database